Monday, August 23, 2010

DIY Baby shower plates and a typed tutorial

My Mommy has to decorate a table for her friend's baby shower. She has to supply the dinnerware, cups, utensils and decorations for 8 seats.

She asked me to help her out a little. Two heads are always better than one! So cliche, I know.

We didn't want to just whip out my Mom's good china for the event so we thought outside the box and found these awesome clear dinner plates. They're pretty groovy with a little circle divet at the top. We instantly thought decoupage! I love to decoupage!

After that thought we went with a rock and roll theme. The parents to be are major rock stars! but not really...

I found this awesome onesie clipart and also found this purple "rockin" drums set clipart and put the two together. Awesome how the two became one. *suddenly I hear the Spice girls in my head*

I'm a silly silly little girl and I didn't even think to do a photo tutorial while in the process. All this talk about constantly having my blog on my mind went right out the door! I'm hoping to do a tutorial on this but I hate to have to waste an extra plate when we already finished them all! I will figure something out!

Here is the finished product! I'll explain how to do it in a few easy steps.


Typed Tutorial (sorry no photo's)
What you'll need

Clear glass plate
Images you would like to use (regular printing paper, magazines, and newspaper work best)
Modge Podge Glossy finish
Sponge brush you can throw away after
Can of spray paint (a gloss finish would work best)


Step 1: Wash your plate with soap and dry really well

Step 2: Cut the image to your desired shape and size

Step 3: Take your sponge brush and brush modge podge on the front of your image

Step 4: Place the image face first onto the back of your glass plate and lightly press down to stick
(you can either leave it rugged and undone or you can take a credit card and lightly drag it over your image to get out any bubbles... I did both)

Step 5: Brush a coat of modge podge over the back of the image and wait for it to dry completely
(don't worry about it looking too messy because you're going to spray paint over it)

Step 6: Place your plate somewhere spray paint friendly and grab an old t-shirt to avoid spray paint splatter on your clothing

Step 7: Hold your spray paint a little more than a few inches and spray over the image on the back of the plate
(Be sure not to spray too close or the paint will run and that won't look very pretty)

Step 8: Let dry completely and spray the bottom with a sealent if you prefer (I opted out of this)

Step 9: Bask in the "ooohs" and "aaahhs" of your fabulous creation!

Hope that made sense
Thanks for reading

xoxo

3 comments:

linda @ CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

Cute plates!! Thanks for leaving me a comment. To answer your question on RSS feed, it's in your Google account to access the link to Feedburner. If you don't have a google account, you can go directly to feedburner by going to feedburner.google.com to set up a feedburner account. Hopefully that helps! Let me know if you have any other Q's.
Linda

Ashley said...

These are just adorable! Awesome idea! Can't wait to try it out! Thanks!
Sewmuchmoreinlife.blogspot.com
Ashley

craftystaci said...

I'm throwing a baby shower in a couple of months...I'll definitely keep this in mind! So cute!