Tuesday, March 1, 2011

TUTORIAL: Anthro-inspired doily necklace

I found these babies on the Anthropologie website...


... and I had the perfect doily to use for this tutorial!


Materials

1 round doily
Ribbon or chain
Needle and thread
Scrap fabric for flowers
Buttons or other notions

Step 1
Grab your doily and fold it in half


Step 2
Grab some scrap fabric and cut a strip the size of your doily from end to end



Step 3
Place the strip of fabric in the middle of your folded doily
(This will allow for a better hold when sewing)



Step 4
Get your needle and thread and hand stitch a simple straight stitch from end to end
(don't tie off just yet)


Step 5
(optional)
Once the straight stitch is complete, gently pull the end of the thread to create rouching.
Tie off when you get the scrunchy rouching to your liking


Step 6
Grab your ribbon or chain and glue it to the back top edge of your rouched doily


Step 7
Add some embellishment to the front of your necklace using your glue gun or fabric glue
I made two fabric flowers for this

1. A shimmery gold flower using this old top
You can refer to this tutorial
(I tried sporting it but it didn't work so I threw it in the will-use-for-fabric pile)

and...

2. A flat fabric rosette made out of the scrap fabric I used for the rouching 
You can refer to this tutorial or this tutorial



Step 8
Wear it proud!
This aint your grandma's doily anymore!




7 comments:

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

This is really really cute! Thanks for sharing! :)

PS- I'm doing my first every giveaway on my blog and I'd love for you to stop by and enter! Check it out: http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-first-giveaway-and-introducing-your.html

Fiffi said...

Amazing! Thank you for the tutorial, I really need to try this out.

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

Yum! I like yours even better than the originals, I think it has more character - love the little flower!

katherine said...

oh my goodness! it looks so good! great job :)

Anonymous said...

I made one and I love it so much!! I want to wear it every day!!
Thanks so much!
:B

Sue said...

Oh my friend, this is GORGEOUS!!! I love it!!

meijo's JOY said...

This is awesome.. so simple work but WOW looking! You are really talented and creative.. your new follower.PC - Malaysia.