Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Concerts: Kimbra is AMAZING!

Disclaimer: I wrote this post a while ago and am just now adding photo's.

Kimbra. You may know her from the Gotye song, Somebody That I Used to Know. My Sister was so excited when she heard Kimbra was going to be doing a free show in Los Angeles and quickly invited a group of us to go. The show is better known as School Night. School Night hosts free shows every Monday night.

Our amazing view of Kimbra!

Well the only people willing and wanting to go to this FREE show was my sister, my brother in law and myself. It was on a Monday at 9:00 pm but we had to be there super early because it was a free show and free shows are first come, first serve and we didn't want to stand in a huge line. I was starting to back out because I was nervous I was going to wear myself out. But I ended up not backing out and My sister and her husband picked me up from work at 5:00 pm and we headed straight to the venue from there.

We arrived to Bar Bardot around 6:00 pm and couldn't find the place at first and there were no lines anywhere yet. After walking around the building once unsure of where exactly the entrance was we encountered some Kimbra fans as lost as we were and they told us they start opening the doors at 7:00 pm. So it's 6:30 and we decide to go grab a quick bite to eat.

We ended up at Juicy Burger. It was our first time eating there and I have to say the burger was JUICY AND DELICIOUS! What makes the juicy burgers amazing are the BUNS. They were crisp on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside and coated in a little oil or butter. I give Juicy Burger 5 stars!

Sister enjoying her Juicy

In the middle of waiting to get their food, My sister was so nervous about a line forming that she sent my Brother in law to go check out the status and wait in line. I had already scarfed my burger down by the time they received their food.

My sister and I basically speed walked to the venue and when we arrived, my Brother in law was first in line. Yes my friends we were the first in line to see Kimbra! We had about an hour to wait so I went to the car to grab something to sit on and my sister just so happened to have CARDBOARD boxes in the trunk of her vehicle. So I grabbed the boxes and we sat like hobo's and waited patiently for the show. We played some card game that I forgot the name of. That was fun! We also made friends with a dude name Nicholas from Newport Beach or Costa Mesa or somewhere near the beach.

Sisters in front of the line
The line quickly started to form and eventually wrapped around the corner of the street. We were gloating the whole time... or at least I was gloating. By the time we were let into the venue it was about 8:30 pm. I was even gloating that we got to go in before the VIP's did! LOVED that! We planted ourselves right in the front of the stage and only moved once to run to the restroom really quick and grab a couple drinks! The venue was small but cool but my feet and legs were already wearing down.

In front of the itty bitty stage

Of course there was an opener. They were called Mini Mansions. They were pretty freaking cool! I was afraid there was going to be 3 openers and Kimbra and then the Headliner would only perform for 30 minutes. That was not the case. As soon as the crew reorganized the small stage, they placed the set list for Kimbra in front of each musicians area. 15 minutes later the band came out and Kimbra came out in an ADORABLE dress!

As soon as she started singing, I was infatuated! Her performance was amazing and her voice incredible. Her live performance doesn't compare to her album. You MUST see her perform live. She also does this thing with her hands that is so cool and unique. She's very articulate.


As you can see the set list was not a short one and she sang every single song on the list. Her band was also damn amazing and her drummer looked like Kid from Kid and Play. Need I say more?

I call him Kid




No comments: